This week on The Open Door we will discuss home schooling. More families are discovering it in these difficult days. For others, of course, it is both the old and the new normal. Pat Carmack, President of the Angelicum Academy, is our special guest. Here is a list of questions that we will ask him.
Please feel free to add your own!
1. Could you please tell us about Angelicum Academy?
2. What is your connection with Holy Apostles College?
3. To whom do you recommend homeschooling?
4. What people are you likely to advise against homeschooling?
5. Elizabeth Bartholet, of Harvard Law School, argues that homeschooling can be dangerous because of parental authoritarianism. How would you meet this objection?
6. The US Supreme Court, in Pierce v. Society of Sisters (1925), ruled that : “The child is not the mere creature of the State; those who nurture him and direct his destiny have the right, coupled with the high duty, to recognize and prepare him for additional obligations.” What political and cultural elements think otherwise?
7. Can you point to upcoming legal cases involving homeschooling?
8. Do people appreciate that homeschooling ordinarily involves a network of activities with other homeschoolers and community colleges?
9. Do you think the current pandemic will, in time, lead more families to try homeschooling?
10. What’s next for the Angelicum Academy?
Please give us a listen!
Host of "The Open Door"
Dr. Mario Ramos-Reyes
Dr. Mario Ramos-Reyes, Professor of Philosophy and Latin America History. Founder of the Institute for the Study of Personalist Republicanism, is co-host of The Open Door.